Monday, August 14, 2006

Turning 30

Today was my 30th birthday...how crazy to be 30 and to be living in the South Pacific with a family where my every move is watched and I'm not allowed out of the house on my own. My parents called first thing in the morning and we talked for a long time - it was SO great to talk to them about everything.

My official birthday celebration will be on Wednesday, where I will be treated like a nobel (I happened to draw the card for being "nobility" on this week).

Tonga has 3 classes of people - Royalty, Nobility & Commoners. It sounds like something out of a fairy tale or a movie or something, but it's very real. Each week, someone out of our group of 16 gets chosen to be a nobel for the first few hours of class, so that we can all learn what it is like to be one and how the rest of the people must act around nobility.

No comments: