Wednesday, August 16, 2006

My Birthday as a Noble

I woke up today knowing that it was probably going to be a rather excruciating day ... my day as a noble for class. Meaning, I would have to sit on my own at the front of the room during class and be paid respects by my classmates. Then at lunch, my host family would dress me up in some hideous costume and serve an enormous feast for the entire class. Although I rarely wear make-up now, today was a day to wear a little to help make myself feel better about what was to come, definitely a make-up day...




Here I am at the start of class...sitting in a special chair places on several mats at the front of the room. Jason is serving as my "talking chief," as nobility does not talk to commoners.











At taimi ti (tea time) ... my first cake of the day - Yummy chocolate!!





With my host family, in a "special" outfit the dressed me in. Ladies, don't be too jealous!








Sami played the role of the lowest ranking family member whose role it is to serve the highest ranking member. She got my food and beverages and had to sit lower than me during our meal.









My official birthday cake ...




















My family & language group ... ready to feast! Jason also got to wear a special outfit ... he was really excited about that.

No comments: