Friday, November 17, 2006

Riots!

The power went off shortly after lunch yesterday while I was at work. I didn't think anything of it as the power goes out here regularly. But later as I was getting ready to leave, the very eccentric woman who uses an office in our building and seems to think she runs the place, told me it was not a good day to be outside, grumbled a bit about how ridiculous "this" was and said she would give me a ride home. I didn't really want a ride home as she is truly quite crazy, but she's not exactly someone you say no to.

Once in her car, I realized it was probably better that I was, just a 1/2 block from the Chamber building, an entire building was engulfed in flames. People were running around on the streets, there was a car on fire - it was pretty scary. Kololiana (sounds like Gloriana) asked if I minded if we drove around and the proceeded to tell me she need to check the palace to ensure the royal family was safe and that she was going to go home to get her guns. I continued to wish that I had just driven myself home...finally we made it to my side of town and she dropped me off at my little home...

I started receiving text messages from other volunteers about what was going on and in the aftermath we learned that in very unusual fashion, supporters of "Tongan Democracy" had organized and had three groups set fire to and destroy 3 businesses belonging to the Prince. Unfortunately, once the looting/rioting/fires began, there was no way to stop what was started and 80% of the central business district was destroyed with heavy targeting of Chinese businesses.













These photos were taken by another volunteer who happened to be in the thick of things! Whoa!



The aftermath ... the entire central downtown area is completely destroyed. All entrances into town are heavily guarded.

No comments: