Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Molokau!

As I sat in one of my two metal folding chairs last night, writing a letter to Jason, as I have done every single day since he left, I caught sight of an extremely fast moving Molokau as it raced from my front door and into the dark living room of my house. I have yet to be bit by one of these and did NOT want one (especially one this large) in my house. I'd heard horror stories about how aggressive they are, how they'll bite you while you're sleeping in your bed, and how painful their bites are. I hopped up quickly and grabbed my faithful can of Mortein (like Raid) ... hoping that it was true that Mortein could actually stop (or at least slow) these incredibly LARGE poisonous centipedes. I tiptoed into the other room. Luckily, I only have a box and a few papers in there so it was pretty easy to find him ... with my adrenaline pumping and my finger primed on the spray button, I moved the box - out he came in a hurry! With me spraying like mad, he slowed down and eventually came to a halt before reaching me. I continued spraying until I used probably half the can. The Molokau continued writhing on the floor for over 20 minutes. Even though I hate & fear this thing, I didn't like to see it slowly dying. I tried to put it out of it's misery by pounding on it with my shoe and anything else heavy ... finally about 15 minutes later it had stopped moving. Here's a photo of my fun friend once he'd stopped moving and I dared to get close. He's probably 6 - 7 inches long ... a mid-sized Molokau really. I've seen others that were longer and much fatter (over an inch wide!)

No comments: