Thursday, July 13, 2006

Bells & Roosters

For the first time in as long as I can remember, I do not need to be out of bed everyday until after 7 am. It is quite a wonderful feeling. Just that knowledge makes me more relaxed and very happy.

While I may not have to be out of bed, there are certain things about Tonga that still ensure I am awake well before then!

Roosters are supposed to crow at sunrise, right?? That's what I thought! They actually crow close to hourly beginning at 2 am or so ... right outside our window.

Church bells can also be heard 4 out of 7 days ringing for at least 15 minutes at 5 am. And there are A LOT of churches, some which don't have actual bells, but just some metal object that they beat against another to create a loud clanging sound, sure to wake every Tongan (and palangi = white person) within hearing distance.

No comments: